Cao Hongbo, MD, Associate Professor & Master Supervisor
Graduating from Gansu College of Traditional Chinese Medicine in 2001, has received a master's degree and a doctor’s degree in internal medicine of TCM. Currently engaged in the teaching and research of Formulas of TCM, and committed to TCM evidence-based research and clinical evaluation methodological research. Has published dozens of academic papers at home and abroad; presided over or participated in more than ten provincial and ministerial level or higher-level projects, has completed or is conducting the 5 projects entrusted by enterprises, with the funding of RMB 5.35 million; obtained 3 provincial and ministerial awards and one reward of China Association of Chinese Medicine. In 2015, was selected into the list of the 131 second-tier talents of Tianjin. Currently, serves as a member of the evidence-based medicine committee of Chinese Preventive Medicine Association, a member of the Chinese Pharmacological Clinical Pharmacology Committee of China Association of Chinese Medicine, a member of the Committee of TCM Medication and Rational Drug Use under China Association of Chinese Medicine, a standing member of the evidence-based medicine professional committee of Tianjin Association of Integrative Medicine, and a standing member of Chinese medicine regulation and monitoring branch of CIATCM. Previously, served as a reviewer of magazines such as PLOS ONE, Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, Complementary and Alternative Medicine, Scientia Pharmaceutica, trials, Drug Design, Development and Therapy.
1. Learning Experience
From 1996 to 2001, studied TCM at Gansu College of Traditional Chinese Medicine;
From 2003 to 2006, studied the internal medicine of TCM for a master’s degree at Tianjin University of Traditional Chinese Medicine;
From 2009 to 2012, studied the internal medicine of TCM for a doctor’s degree at Tianjin University of Traditional Chinese Medicine;
2. Work Experience
From 2013-present, Associate Researcher of Clinical Evaluation Center of Chinese Medicine Institute, Tianjin University of Traditional Chinese Medicine;
From 2009 to 2013, Assistant Researcher of Clinical Evaluation Center of Chinese Medicine Institute, Tianjin University of Traditional Chinese Medicine;
From 2006 to 2009, Internship Researcher of Clinical Evaluation Center of Chinese Medicine Institute, Tianjin University of Traditional Chinese Medicine;
From 2002 to 2003, Internship Researcher of Gansu Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences
3. Scientific Research
1. National, provincial and ministerial-level projects undertaken
In recent years, has presided over and participated in a number of national, provincial and ministerial-level projects as follows (in the time order):
1) 2015-2016, the 131 second-level talent funding of Tianjin (ZX160123), with RMB 50,000, in progress, as a project leader.
2) 2014-2015, Tianjin Research Plan Project for Applied Fundamental and Frontier Technologies , Research on Preventive Treatment Mechanism of Jinqi Hypoglycemic Tablets (14JCPJC00504), with RMB 50,000; already completed; served as a person responsible for the design and implementation; as a project leader.
3) 2013-2015, Youth Science Fund Project under National Natural Science Foundation of China - Evaluation of Individualized Comparison of Clinical Effects of Chinese Patent Drugs in Patients (81202849), with RMB 240,000; already completed; in charge of the design and implementation of the project; served as a project leader.
4) 2011-2013, Tianjin Science and Technology Development Fund for Higher Education - "Comparative Benefit Evaluation of Personalized Clinical Efficacy of Chinese Patent Medicine" (20110202), with RMB 40,000; already completed and appraised, served as a project leader.
5) 2014-2018, National Key Basic Research Program (973), "Shanghuo" Syndrome Differentiation, Virus Immunity Relevance and Biologic Research Basis, 2014CB543000, with the funding of RMB 15 million, in progress; the 6th place, served as a project leader of Tianjin University of Traditional Chinese Medicine.
6) 2011-2016, the national "Twelfth Five-Year" major sub-project of science and technology - Reduning injection clinical safety centralized monitoring (2011ZX09304), with the support of RMB one million, responsible for the design and implementation of the project, already completed; the second place.
7) 2014-2016, NSFC Young Scientist Fund Project (81303093), "Method for Evaluating TCM Auxiliary Effects of Preventing and Treating Tumors in Embodying the Comprehensive Value of Individual Dynamic Information", with the funding of RMB 230,000, in progress; the second place.
8) 2015-2018, National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC), Research on Methods of Multidimensional Measurement, Control and Evaluation of the Compliance of Clinical Researchers Based on Mobile Medical Technology (81503456), with the funding of RMB 180,000, in progress; the second place.
9) 2005-2008, the Special Fund for Doctoral Discipline in Colleges and Universities - Experimental Study on Antihypertensive Effect of Natural Bezoar on SHR and Brain Protection (20050063009), responsible for the implementation, already completed with the identification of the results; the second place.
10) 2008-2010, the TCM industry special project under the Ministry of Science and Technology - "evidence-based evaluation of clinical efficacy of traditional Chinese medicine" (200807004): responsible for the evidence-based evaluation of clinical efficacy; already completed with the final report; the fourth place.
11) 2008-2010, NSFC Major Research Project – Basis of Molecular Biology for Qi Deficiency and Blood Stasis Syndrome during the Recovery of Patients with Myocardial Infarction (90709038), with the funding of 400,000, Responsible for the concrete implementation of the project, already completed with the final report; the fifth place.
12) 2007-2009, the NSFC Youth Fund Project - "Methodology for Individualized Evaluation of TCM Geriatrics Based on Objective Achievement Assessment" (30600834): with the funding of RMB 220,000; Responsible for clinical evaluation; already completed with the award; the fifth place.
13) 2007-2009, Tianjin Science and Technology Innovation Funds Project - "Research on Key Technologies for Secondary Development of Famous and Proprietary Chinese Medicine" (07FDZDSH01011), with the funding of RMB 3 million; Responsible for the collection and evaluation of varieties; already completed with the final report, the eighth place.
14) 2004-2009, the national fifteen Five-Year Plan scientific and technological project - the Study on the evaluation methods of TCM efficacy ---the sub-project "Study on the clinical trials of the secondary prevention of Qishenyiqi pills on myocardial infarction " (2004BA716B01), with the funding of RMB 12.3 million; Responsible for the project implementation and management, case collection, quality control and other work; Already completed with the award; the 11th place.
15) 2001-2007, Tianjin Science and Technology Development Project - "Study on the Diagnosis and Treatment of Alzheimer's Disease" (013111311), with the funding of RMB 80,000; Responsible for the specific implementation of the project; Already completed with the final report; the 10th place.
16) 2004-2005, National High Technology Development Research Program - "Research on Key Techniques and Platform of Clinical Trial of Traditional Chinese Medicine" (2002AA2Z2341N). with the funding of RMB 1 million; Responsible for the project research and implementation; Already completed with the final report; the 14th place.
2. Research Projects Undertaken for Enterprises
In recent years, the applicant has presided over and completed various business cooperation projects with good results, as follows:
1) 2015-2016, Study on the safety re-evaluation of Yiqi Fumai Injection, with the funding of RMB 1.8 million, in progress; served as a project leader.
2) 2015-2016, Study on the clinical re-evaluation of anti-aging tablets, with the funding of RMB 450,000, in progress; served as a project leader.
3) 2013-2015, The randomized, double-blind, controlled and multicenter clinical trials on the effect of Xuebijing Injection on systemic syndrome (SIRS) caused by Severe Pneumonia, with the funding of RMB 1 million; Already completed with the final report; the second place.
4) 2013-2014, the Optimization of the Research Program of Clinical Reevaluation of Shenzhiling Oral Solution, with the funding of RMB 500,000; Already completed; the second place.
5) 2010-2011, Agreement on the clinical research of Xuebijing Injection -centralized monitoring, with the funding of RMB 1.6 million; Already completed with the final report; the third place.
3. Software Copyright
TCM "Shanghuo" self-diagnostic platform, with the registration number: 2016SR228797, the first person-in-charge.
4. Representative Papers
1) Hongbo Cao, Ping Wang, Nan Li , Dan Liu, Junshao Ma, Ruihong Fan, Zhihuan, Zhou.Practice of comparative Effectiveness Research to identify treatment characteristics of similar Chinese patent medicine for Angina Pectoris.Evidence-Based Complementary andAlternative Medicine.2017（Received amd to be published）.
2) Hongbo Cao, Jingbo Zhai, Nan Li, Hongxia Cao, Xiang Lei, Wei Mu, Zhi Liu, Hui Wang，Hongcai Shang. Comparative effectiveness – gUided Patient Important outcome – based Design (CUPID): a novel method for identifying characteristics of similar Chinese patent medicines. BMJopen，2014;4:e006753.
3) Hongbo Cao, Jingbo ZHAI, Wei MU, Xiang LEI, Hongcai SHANG*, Hongxia CAO, Chunxiang LIU. Use of Comparative Effectiveness Research for similar Chinese patent medicine for angina pectoris of Coronary Heart Diseases: a new approach based on Patient- important outcomes. Trails.2014,15:84.
4) Hongbo cao,Ming ren,liping guo, Hongcai shang*,Junhua zhang,Yuzhen Song,Hui wang,Baohe wang,Xiantao li,Jing hu,Xuemei wang,Dehui wang,Jianzong chen,Shuanglei li,Liming Chen.JinQi-Jiangtang tablet,a Chinese patent medicine,for pre-diabetes:a randomized controlled trial.Trials.2010;11:27.
5) Hongbo Cao, Hongcai Shang*, Wei Mu, Jinbo Zhai, Yazhu Hou and Hui Wang.Internal challenge to clinical trial project management：strategies for managing investigator compliance.JOURNAL OF EVIDENCE-BASED MEDICINE.2013;10:157-166.
6) Jingbo Zhai,Hongbo Cao,Ming Ren,Wei Mu,Sisi Lv,Jinhua Si,Hui Wang,Jing Chen,Hongcai Shang. Reporting of core items in hierarchical Bayesian analysis for aggregating N-of-1 trials to estimate population treatment effects is suboptimal.Journal of Clinical Epidemiology.2016;02.023.
7) Hongcai Shang, Junhua Zhang, Chen Yao, Baoyan Liu, Xiumei Gao, Ming Ren, Hongbo Cao, Guohua Dai, Weiliang Weng, Sainan Zhu,HuiWang,Hongjuan Xu, and Boli Zhang. Qi-Shen-Yi-Qi Dripping Pills for the Secondary Prevention of Myocardial Infarction: A Randomised Clinical Trial. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine.2013;738391.
8) Zhang Junhua,Shang Hongcai,Gao Xiumei, Zhang Boli, Cao Hongbo, Ren ming, Wang hui. Compound salvia droplet pill, a traditional Chinese medicine, for the treatment of unstable angina pectoris: A systematic review. Med Sci Monit.2008;14(1):RA1-7.
9) Cao Hongbo, Zhang Junhua, Zhai Jingbo, Liu Chunxiang and Zheng Wenke; Standardization of hospital centralized monitoring and study of the safety of TCM injection; Modernization of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Materia Materia-World Science and Technology ; 2016,18 (12): 2093-2096;
10) Cao Hongbo, Liu Zhi, Li Nan et al. Framework of clinical experiment remote data management model of drugs after appearing on the market; Tianjin Journal of TCM; 2014,31 (12): 730-734
11) Cao Hongbo and Shang Hongcai*. Management Strategy of Research Units on Drugs in Clinic Experiment after Appearing on the Market; Traditional Chinese Drug Research & Clinical Pharmacology.2013, 5 (24): 522-525
12) Cao Hongbo and Shang Hongcai *. Quality Control of Clinical Trial of Drugs after Appearing on the Market: Status Analysis and Process Management of Case-Raising, Chinese Journal of New Drugs, 2013, 21 (22): 39-42
13)Cao Hongbo and Shang Hongcai *. Selection Strategy of Research Units to Make Clinical Trials of Drugs after Appearing on the Market, Tianjin Journal of TCM, 2013, 10 (30): 584-587
14) Cao HB, Shang HC. Connotations and extensions of Comparative study and feasibility analysis for its application into TCM clinical evaluation. Journal of Integrative Medicine.2012, 10(4):369-374
15) Cao Hongbo and Shang Hongcai *. Strategy of Case Collection for Clinical Trials of Drugs after Appearing on the Market; Medical Recapitulate; 2012, 19 (18): 3207-3210
16) Cao HB, Shang HC, Ren M, Zhang JH, Gao X, Xiang YZ, Dai GH, Wang Y, Gao XM, Zhang BL. Case collection for clinical trials of large-scale random comparsion of traditional Chinese medicine. Journal of Chinese Integrative Medicine; 2007, 5(3):243-246.
17) Cao Hongbo, Shang Hongcai *, Zhang Boli, Weng Weiliang, Gao Xiumei, Ren Ming, Zhang Junhua, Xiang Yaozu and Dai Guohua. Monitoring of large sample, multi-center and clinical trials, Chinese Journal of New Drugs, 2007, 16(18):4-6.
18) Wang Bin, Wu Shentao, Wang Ting and Cao Hongbo (corresponding author) *. Effect of Huazhuojiedu description on the serum GLP-1 of diabetic rats, China Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Pharmacy, 2016, 31 (1): 269-271.
19) Ma Shaojun, Qu Zhenliang, Kong Di and Cao Hongbo (corresponding author)*. Advances in epidemiology and diagnosis of pancreatic cancer, Chinese Journal of Surgery of Integrated Traditional and Western Medicine, 2015, 21 (1): 87-92.
20) ZHAI Jing-bo, REN Ming, CAO Hongbo, WANG Hui, LIU Chunxiang, LIU Zhi and SHANG Hongcai. TIO method---A New Method for Evaluating the Efficacy of TCM Adjuvant Therapy of Tumor, Chinese Journal of Evidence-Based Medicine, 2013,13 11): 1280-1282
21) Wu Yan, Cao Hongbo, Gao Xiumei and Zhang Boli; Effects of natural bezoar on systolic blood pressure and contents of SOD, MDA and NO in brain tissue of spontaneously hypertensive rats. Journal of Liaoning University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, 2011,13 (5): 48- 51
1) 2015, Notes of Chinese Materia Medica, People's Medical Publishing House, ISBN 978-7-117-20784-3, Served as an Associate Editor-in-charge.
2) 2013, Introduction to Chinese Materia Medica, China Press of TCM, ISBN 978-7-5381-6780-5, Served as a member of the editorial board.
3) 2010, Theory and Practice of Modern TCM on Component Compatibility Development - the basic research on the key scientific issues of prescriptions, Liaoning Science and Technology Press, ISBN: 978-7-5381-6708-5, Served as a member of the editorial board.
4) 2008, Modern Research of Compound Danshen Prescription - Theory and Practice of Modern TCM on Component Compatibility Development, Tsinghua University Press, ISBN: 978-7-117-10377-0, Served as a member of the editorial board.
5) 2007, Adverse Reactions and Rational Use of TCM, People's Medical Publishing House, ISBN: 978-7-302-12997-4, Served as a member of the editorial board.
1) Guo Liping, Shang Hongcai, Ren Ming, Wang Tao, Deng Yanru, Chen Liming, Wang Xuemei, Wang Dehui, Li Shuanglei, Chen Jianzong, Shen Zhufang, Cao Hongbo, Zhang Junhua, Wang Hui, Zhai Jingbo, Sun Xiao, Zhu Xiaodan and Yuan Xuehai. Evidence-based research of Jinqi hypoglycemic tablets on preventive treatment of disease (pre-diabetes), Science and Technology Award of Chinese Association of Integrative Medicine, (20150205B), 2015.
2) Shang Hongcai, Ren Ming, Chen Jing, Wang Hui, Zhang Boli, Li Youping, Bian Zhaoxiang, Liu Zhi, Cao Hongbo, Zhang Junhua, Zheng Wenke, Zhang Li and Zhai Jingbo. "Methodology for Assessing the Individualization of Geriatric Alzheimer's Disease Based on Objective Achievement," First Prize of China Association of Chinese Medicine, (201301-08 LC-09), 2013.
3) Shang Hongcai, Ren Ming, Chen Jing, Zhang Junhua and Cao Hongbo. "Methodology for Assessing the Individualized Effects of Clinical Effect of TCM based on Evidence-Based Objective Achievement," Third Prize of Tianjin Science and Technology Progress Award by Tianjin Municipal Government, (2012JB-3-188-R5), 2012.
4) Zhang Boli, Shang Hongcai, Yao Chen, Liu Baoyan, Weng Weiliang, Zhao Yuxia, Dai Guohua, Gao Xiumei, Ren Ming, Zhang Junhua, Cao Hongbo, Mao Jingyuan, Hu Xuejun, Wen Tiancai, Zhang Junping and Cheng Yiyu. "Demonstrative Study of evidence-based evaluation of clinical effects of TCM-- Secondary Prevention Effects of Qishengyiqi Pills on Myocardial Infarction", First Prize of Science and Technology Progress Award of the Ministry of Education of PRC (2010-198), 2010.
5) Kang Liyuan, Fan Xiang, Hu Limin, Wu Yan and Cao Hongbo. "Study on the Resuscitation and Nerve Injury-reducing Roles and Mechanism of Resuscitation-inducing Drugs", Third Prize of Tianjin Science and Technology Progress Award by Tianjin Municipal Government, (2010JB-3-177-R5), 2010.